From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Strange and potentially unsafe openssh feature
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 22:16:06
1 For my ssh keys that require passphrases, I use ssh-agent to cache the
2 decrypted key so I don't have to type the passphrase every time. Until
3 yesterday there was only one such key; last night I added a new one
4 [1]. And, being the lazy thinker I am, I used the same passphrase as
5 for the old one.
6
7 Now, I find that when I run ssh-add to tell ssh-agent about my keys,
8 _both_ are added to the session after asking me the passphrase only
9 once! This can only be secure and correct if the agent somehow compares
10 the passphrases and knows they are the same; even then, it is _very_
11 surprising. Have you seen this and how do you explain it?
12
13 [1]
14 It was necessary to create a new rsa type key because of a stupid server
15 which doesn't understand ecdsa keys.
18 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
19 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
20 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
21 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.