From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seagate ST8000NM0065 PMR or SMR plus NAS SAS SATA question
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 16:15:35
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 11:32 AM Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> An interesting article mentioning WD Red NAS drives which may actually be SMRs
4 >> and how latency increases when cached writes need to be transferred into SMR
5 >> blocks.
6 > Yeah, there is a lot of background on this stuff.
7 >
8 > You should view a drive-managed SMR drive as basically a journaled
9 > filesystem/database masquerading as a virtual drive. One where the
10 > keys/filenames are LBAs, and all the files are 512 bytes long. :)
11 >
12 > Really even most spinning drives are this way due to the 4k physical
13 > sectors, but this is something much easier to deal with and handled by
14 > the OS with aligned writes as much as possible. SSDs have similar
15 > issues but again the impact isn't nearly as bad and is more easily
16 > managed by the OS with TRIM/etc.
17 >
18 > A host-managed SMR drive operates much more like a physical drive, but
19 > in this case the OS/application needs to be SMR-aware for performance
20 > not to be absolutely terrible.
23 The thing about the one I have now in use by LVM for /home, one is SMR
24 and one is PMR.  Even if the OS is aware, does it even know which drive
25 the data is going to end up being stored on?  I'm pretty sure since the
26 PMR drive was in use before the SMR that the PMR is likely full.  From
27 my understanding, LVM doesn't balance the data out. It will fill up a
28 drive and then move on to the next.  If you add another, it will fill up
29 the 2nd drive and then start on the newly added drive.  Maybe it does do
30 some magic but does the OS know which drive data is going to hit?
31
32 It seems to me that we could end up stuck with SMR or pay a premium for
33 PMR.  That's the part that worries me.  I'm not saying SMR isn't good
34 for a lot of folks but for us power type users, it matters.  You get
35 into servers and it matters a whole lot I'd imagine.
36
37 Maybe I need to buy some drives before I can't even get them at a
38 affordable price at all???
39
40 Dale
41
43
44 P. S. Thanks to Michael for the info.  I'll read it in a bit.  Having a
45 little sewer problem.  Dirty job.  -_o