From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] major problem involving nvidia drivers, gnome and x
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 06:18:28
1 Hi. I normally do updates approximately monthly and I use the gnome
2 overlay, so I get the latest gnome. I am also using ~amd64 version of
3 gentoo.
4
5 Now, this time when I went from version 4.1.17 to 4.1.20 kernel and did
6 my monthly update at the same time, two things happened. On the 4.1.17
7 kernel, if I try to start gdm, I get a blank screen. Logs look good in
8 that the screen is detected and the gnome session runs, but I get a
9 blank screen. This is true even if I use startx instead of starting
10 gdm. Now with 4.1.20 the nvidia drivers I am using get an invalid
11 argument when trying to modprobe it. Its version 355.11-r4. If I try
12 the latest version, I get modeset errors, although it stops giving me
13 the invalid argument.
14
15 So, I have really two separate problems here, the blank screen and the
16 nvidia driver problem, either one of which makes X totally unusable for
17 me.
18
19 Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
22 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
23 How do
24 you spend it?
25
26 John Covici