From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What if the firewall doesn't start?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:05:30
1 On Tuesday 27 February 2007 03:21, Grant wrote:
2 > > > > Anyway, a closed port remains closed whether a firewall is running,
3 > > > > or not.
4 > > >
5 > > > I thought the firewall specified which ports to open/close.
6 > >
7 > > Not quite, but we might be running into terminology here.
8 > >
9 > > The app that is listening a port opens the port. This has nothing to do
10 > > with the firewall. The firewall is simply an extra level of checks
11 > > applied before the packet is allowed thorugh the firewall to be
12 > > received by the kernel, in the same way that a bouncer allows or
13 > > disallows the public to enter a club. If the bouncer is off sick, the
14 > > public gets to walk through the door up to reception, assuming the club
15 > > is open for business.
16 > >
17 > > What Mick was referring to is that if a service is running, it's still
18 > > going to listen on it's port whether iptables is running or not. So, in
19 > > the absense of iptables (i.e. your bouncer is off sick), you hopefully
20 > > have a decent password strategy in use by whatever is actually
21 > > listening on the box.
22 >
23 > So as far as incoming connections are concerned, if there are no
24 > listening applications, there is no need for a firewall?
25
26 As I understand it, no. However, a firewall is there to offer additional
27 functionality and protection by logging packets, filtering the amount of
28 incoming packets, proactively blocking some of these from coming in, etc.
29
30 After all you would be less inclined to allow a machine which has been
31 scanning your server ports for the last 10 minutes to try to authenticate on
32 a legitimate service port, right?
33
34 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/dynamic-iptables-firewalls.xml
37 Regards,