From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Implicit udev dependancy in Gentoo? and workaround.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 03:57:03
1 On 25/12/12 11:21, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I'm asking questions here before filing a bug/reature-request, to make
3 > sure I have my ducks in a row. I did a big update a couple of days ago.
4 > As per the user in... http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7168984.html
5 > I too ran into a situation where I couldn't open any xterms because
6 > /dev/pts was empty. The solution for that user came in 2 parts...
7 >
8 > 1) Add the following line to /etc/fstab
9 > devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
10 >
11 > 2) Run "rc-update add udev-mount sysinit" oops... what udev-mount? I'm
12 > the troublemaker/malcontent who runs mdev instead of udev.
13 >
14 > I noticed that the temporary solution would be to manually execute
15 > "mount devpts". The problem was that it would only last till the next
16 > reboot, after which the mount needed to be issued again. I got around
17 > that by putting "mount devpts" in /etc/local.d/000.start (which file
18 > must be executable). It is executed every bootup, solving the problem.
19 > My questions...
20 >
21 > 1) Is this just my system, or has anybody else with mdev run into it?
22 > If others have the same problem, I'll update the mdev wiki page to
23 > mention this.
24 >
25 > 2) Can someone who uses udev have a look at their "udev-mount" script
26 > and see if it does any other stuff besides mounting devpts?
29 Sorry about the html mail ... I just moved to tbird and didnt realise it
30 was selected.
31
32 BillK