From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Usign ansible
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 16:23:54
1 On 11/01/2015 14:25, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> The reason I'm recommending to keep all of /etc in it's own repo is that
4 >> it's the simplest way to do it. /etc/ is a large mixture of
5 >> ansible-controlled files, sysadmin-controlled files, and other arbitrary
6 >> files installed by the package manager. It's also not very big, around
7 >> 10M or so typically. So you *could* manually add to a repo every file
8 >> you change manually, but that is error-prone and easy to forget. Simpler
9 >> to just commit everything in /etc which gives you an independant record
10 >> of all changes over time. Have you ever dealt with a compliance auditor?
11 >> An independant change record that is separate from the CM itself is a
12 >> feature that those fellows really like a lot.
13 >
14 > If you're taking care of individual long-lived hosts this probably
15 > isn't a bad idea.
16
17 Yes, this is what I do.
18
19 I do have cattle, not pets. But my cattle are long-production dairy
20 cows, not beef steers for slaughter. And I have a stud bull or two :-)
21
22 > If you just build a new host anytime you do updates and destroy the
23 > old one then obviously a git repo in /etc won't get you far.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com