From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Digikam issue
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 15:43:36
1 On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > First, I have searched the archives and didn't find anything that seemed
5 > to help.
6 >
7 > The main issue here is with digikam. I used to have it working, but
8 > some upgrade or other seemed to screw things up.
9 >
10 > Digikam loads just fine. It recognizes and displays the pictures in the
11 > folders on my hard drive. When my camera is plugged in and I select
12 > "Import --> Camera", my camera appears in the list (not the specific
13 > model, but it recognizes that it is a Canon). However, the images on
14 > the camera are not displayed. I tried entering the camera manually.
15 > Doing this, it wants a mount point which defaults to /mnt/camera. If I
16 > then select "Import-->Camera", I get the message "Failed to connect to
17 > camera". The correct mount point was created. BTW, I AM a member of
18 > the plugdev group.
19
20 Since you didn't say which model of camera you have, I can only guess.
21 I have a Canon SD550 and it cannot be mounted as a mass storage
22 device. It uses the PTP2 protocol. For a camera like mine my advice
23 would be:
24
25 In /etc/make.conf be sure you've defined CAMERAS with the drivers
26 needed for your camera. My Canon SD550 uses the ptp2 driver, so my
27 make.conf has:
28 CAMERAS="ptp2"
29
30 (to see a list of possible values, run "emerge -vp libgphoto2" and
31 look at theoutput)
32
33 If you didn't have it set, re-emerge libgphoto2 after changing it:
34 emerge --oneshot libgphoto2
35
36 If that wasn't it, try to run digikam as root. If it works as root,
37 it's probably a UDEV permissions issue. Find your camera/driver in
38 /etc/udev/rules.d/70-libgphoto2.rules and edit the permissions so that
39 your user can access it.
40
41 If THAT doesn't work, try to use gphoto2 in a shell and see what it
42 detects (or if it detects anything). This will give you better
43 visibility about any error messages it may have. It will show detected
44 cameras by doing this:
45 gphoto2 --auto-detect
46
47 If it sees your camera, try the other commands for listing and
48 downloading images from it.