From: James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pre OpenRC update question...
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 03:23:12
1 On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 18:35, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Friday 13 May 2011 20:11:01 James Wall wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Another tool which will work well is dd.
6 >>> as an example to back up my laptop before experimenting with new
7 >>> distros, I do dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/backup/jalopy.img bs=2M to back
8 >>> up the drive for a bare metal restore of the 40 GB hard drive.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> Is the bs=2M important?  Should one use the block size of the drive?
12 > Speed improvement.
13 > If you're doing a backup of a rather large disk, I duggest piping to
14 > bzip2 or gzip. Unless the free space is random padding, even the
15 > slightest
16 > compression will be more efficient, space-wise, than the raw file. The
17 > big problem is bzip2 -9, because you only get ~2.5 MB/s compression
18 > speed.
22 I set the bs=2M to the size of the hdd cache to push it to the limit
23 of speed. YMMV, the best thing to do is experiment. You may find a
24 different number works better.
25
26 James Wall