From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New laptop - AMD or Intel?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 19:17:45
1 On 3/9/20 2:53 PM, Michael wrote:
2 > On Monday, 9 March 2020 18:08:54 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2020-03-09, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Would that be the consensus of the group here?
5 >>
6 >> After decades of buying AMD, over the past 5 years or so all my
7 >> machines gradually shifted to Intel.
8 >>
9 >> So you can probably bet _that's_ not what you want...
10 >
11 > My thoughts on the same topic:
12 >
13 > I have not seen *laptop* OEMs offering BIOS/UEFI firmware updates (which would
14 > include any applicable CPU microcode updates) for any longer than 18 months
15 > from the day of releasing their laptops onto the market.
16
17 I cannot comment on the update/release cycle, but, I've been buying HP
18 laptops, for decades, and never had any issues. About half are pure
19 gentoo, the other half dual boot, some form of Windows and gentoo.
22 > Desktop MoBo OEMs
23 > are usually better, I've received firmware updates on ASUS MoBos for 5 years
24 > or so, with continuous improvements on stability and performance.
25 >
26 > If the laptop's MoBo firmware is flash-able with coreboot you're in (partial)
27 > luck. You still need microcode binary blobs and for these you are at the
28 > mercy of the CPU manufacturers. With the Intel debacle over the last couple
29 > of years I realised their interest to keeping us as customers is limited to <
30 > 5 years.
31
32 Absolutely spot on.
35 > Beyond that they expect us to throw our PCs in the recycling bin and
36 > buy their latest offering, which errm ... hold on! o_O As we just found out
37 > Intel's latest ROM offering is compromised straight off the production line
38 > and given their prior form I wouldn't think they would rush to recall and
39 > replace their borked hardware any time soon.
42 I only push the 'edge' when clients or employers are paying for it. The
43 amount of work to get a gentoo install robustly happy, is orders of
44 magnitude greater (imho), than the dollars initially allocated for
45 hardware. So the robustness of long term usage, is the only issue for
46 me; ymmv.
47
48 AMD is the least work, compared to a collective of embedded/ARM-64bit
49 systems. But this list could change that, in short order, if we
50 collasce around a a list of packages, and semantics for easy to install
51 gentoo on 64 bit arm systems.
52
53 Intel/nvidia sold their souls to satan, a long time ago, from my
54 perspective as a christian, ymmv.
57 > Are AMD that much better? They probably are, but not by much.
60 Orders of magnitude better, when you consider the total cost/pain of
61 Install/Maintenance of ownership.
64 > Both Intel and AMD are now only offering CPU/APUs with embedded OOB
65 > coprocessors (ME/PSP) and many of the vulnerabilities revealed over the last
66 > few years are caused by these backdoors at the heart of the PC.
69 It's orders of magnitude worst than you are alluding to.
72 > Since I don't feel comfortable running a machine designed to be controlled/
73 > controllable remotely before my OS of choice has even booted up, I am not keen
74 > on spending my money with either of these corporates.
77 Well, I'm afraid you have not fathomed the entire truth. Deep inside
78 MOST RF chipsets, there are 'state-machines' and much, much more, mixed
79 with 'multi-spectral' thin/noise communication channels to the
80 governments of the top 10 countries and they do as they please, with
81 your.......
84 The good news is they are not engaged with small fry, evil-or-good does
85 not matter. But, others that discover their old technologies, are able
86 to harass, steal and compromise most system in current usage.
89 You can make your networks, systems and operational semantics unique, so
90 it is not trivial or worth the efforts to monitor you deeply. MS idiots
91 are deeply comprised between their cell phones and windows system, to
92 the point of no-return. Gentooers and a few other distros, can just make
93 it a pain for the top-echelon of hackers, including nation states, to be
94 bothered with your systems.
95
96 If you are 'evil': stay mobile, use multi-path and constantly
97 trade/swap/buy new systems, registered to different buyers, as fast as
98 you can. But those folks are rarely 'brought in' as when they are
99 'caught'. They are most easily turned and release data to the agencies
100 and government and top (billion dollar+) folks, routinely.
103 > At some point I'll look
104 > at saving up for a POWER9 workstation, which at least runs coreboot, but I
105 > have no solution at this stage for a laptop and not much hope Intel or AMD are
106 > going to change their design policy anytime soon.
109 Governments would not allow them to totally support honorable citizens
110 of any nation. It going to take a US Presidential candidate that 'gets
111 it' to step forward and change the swamp..... Trump is no saint, and
112 he's clueless about technology. But he is trying to clean up a few
113 things, and look at the discord that generates..... They are masters at
114 deception, and multitude of intellectual/well-educated are also deceived
115 by what's going on, they buy-in wholsale, rather that using a bit of
116 intellectual robustness in that emotional belief. Just look at the
117 climate noise.
118
119 Computer privacy is a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT l just like non-metered access
120 to the O2 in the atmosphere, but there is just to much profit, running
121 the current evil system controls, that WE allow. To start with, just
122 hold the board of directors and major share holders, accountable in a
123 court of law for the costs of absconding our bandwidth and the
124 resulting costs and pain the average citizen endures, on a daily basis.
125 It'd first take a constitutional amendment, in simpler language, for
126 that sort of 'starting point'. I'd number it 1A, as technology human
127 rights deserves as much legacy, and the legal centric rights, started
128 back in the late Seventeen hundreds. WE now have the same oligarchs
129 running the US,
130 as they have in Europe for thousands of years.
131
132 Uniqueness, via gentoo, is the best we have, atm. Start with a simple
133 list of codes and a secure, minimized kernel. Sub $500 laptops, amd
134 centric, could be the focal point, for this list of gentoo users.
137 hth,
138 James Horton, pe