From: "Randolph Maaßen" <r.maassen60@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Big drive + UEFI boot questions
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 05:43:10
1 On Apr 4, 2013 4:27 AM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > I checked the Gentoo wiki http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/UEFI about
4 > handling UEFI boot. I'm still a bit confused. The way I read it, there
5 > are 2 separate issues...
6 > * UEFI boot
7 > * GPT versus MBR partitions
8 >
9 > Apparently, I get to choose between unmasking ELILO or GRUB2 to do a
10 > UEFI boot. As near as I can tell...
11 > * A separate EFI partition (FAT32) is required
12 > * The EFI partition needs to be mounted via /etc/fstab
13 >
14 > Is that correct?
15 >
16 > --
17 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
18 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
21 For the partition:
22 Yes and no. You have to create a sepearate efi partition (type: ef; fs:
23 fat32) but there is no need to keep it mounted while th system is running.
24
25 For the boot loader:
26 I have no experience wit elilo, but grub 2 works well if you like the menu
27 and autoconfig it provides.
28 There is a 3. Way loading the kernel: efi_stub. If you compile the
29 commandline in the kernel and you don't use an initrd enable
30 CONFIG_EFI_STUB in the kernel and copy the bzimage to your efi partition as
31 an .efi file and announce the kernel image instead of grub2.
32
33 The arch linux wiki page was verry helpfull for me.
34
35 Ps: be sure to test your kernel before using efi, there are reports that
36 the firmware gets brickt in some cases. (It came out on samsung laptops)
37
38 HTH
39 Randolph