From: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 09:09:16
1 Am Tue, 29 Aug 2017 01:38:42 -0400
2 schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
3
4 > I'm running a Core2-duo desktop from 2008 with 3 gigs of ram. I
5 > want to run it into the ground, not throw it away while it's still
6 > functional. With Gentoo optimization, pluse using ICEWM, it's
7 > generally snappy. But there are a few web pages that throw the
8 > kitchen sink of 3rd-pary adservers+trackers. 178 unique servers for
9 > one web page will peg the load from the web browser to 150% of 1 cpu
10 > core. On a 2-core machine, that is bad. The browser is unresponsive
11 > for a few seconds at a time.
12 >
13 > I'm building up a rather large hosts file, but the adservers have a
14 > gazillion subnames for each domain, in a deliberate attempt to bypass
15 > hosts files. It would be more effective block entire domains. Is
16 > there a lightweight DNS server, or some iptables trick, or whatever,
17 > that'll block specified domains?
18
19 I'm using the combination of these browser add-ons available for
20 Firefox and Chromium:
21
22 uBlock Origin
23 uMatrix
24 EFF Privacy Badger
25
26 uBlock Origin is an ad blocker.
27 uMatrix is similar to NoScript but a lot more flexible and easier to
28 use, and comes with some hosts files (not copied to /etc/hosts).
29 And Privacy Badger blocks domains, JavaScripts, cookies etc. that are
30 used to create a profile of yours.
31
32 Those three are doing quite a good job from what I can tell. And surfing
33 on a Raspberry Pi 3 is also a lot better with these.
34
35 That said, it's not only ad servers which cause a massive CPU load, it's
36 also badly designed and overloaded websites which contain a lot of
37 JavaScript and load content from several other servers, particularly
38 from JavaScript hosts and CDNs.
39
40 Heiko