From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-191 bit me. Insufficient ptys
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:29:17
1 On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 31 Jan 2013 14:37:00 Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Peter Humphrey
4 >>
5 >> <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >> > On Thursday 31 January 2013 14:05:07 Michael Mol wrote:
7 >> >> OK, it looks like /dev/pts is not mounted. But darned if I know
8 >> >> why...Isn't udev supposed to handle that?
9 >> >
10 >> > Why did you remove udev-mount from the sysinit level? I left mine alone
11 >> > and it all works just fine.
12 >>
13 >> Because, when I initially rebooted, openrc failed to launch the
14 >> udev-mount service, and I couldn't get any farther in the boot
15 >> sequence until I removed it. (Which involved removing the symlink in
16 >> /etc/runlevels, since rc-update kept failing while complaining about
17 >> being unable to update dependencies.)
18 >>
19 >> It seems possible now that the reason the udev-mount service failed to
20 >> start was because of the missing CONFIG_DEVTMPFS kernel config option.
21 >> I can try adding udev-mount back to see if it works.
22 >
23 > Well, I have udev-mount running:
24 >
25 > rc-update -s -v | grep udev
26 > udev | sysinit
27 > udev-mount | sysinit
28 >
29 > and do not have CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT enabled. devpts is created fine and I
30 > have no problems booting:
31 >
32 > mount | grep devpts
33 > devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
36 > You may want to try the same in case it works?
37
38 I probably will re-add udev-mount. It's certainly plausible it only
39 failed because of the lack of CONFIG_DEVTMPFS, and having
40 CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT enabled fixed basic pty and shm functionality
41 for me.
42
43 It's also worth noting that whether or not you use an initramfs (I
44 don't on this machine) can make a difference.
47 :wq