From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 15:57:40
1 On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Questions (3)-(5)
4
5 This should have said (2)-(4).
6
7 ===
8
9 The problem is "solved" in the Ubuntu sense. I suspect that I
10 encountered some kind of portage bug or oddity on the way.
11
12 I "solved" the problem by:
13 1. removed global USE flag -gnome
14 2. added global USE flag fuse
15 3. added global USE flag udisks
16 4. added global USE flag gdu
17 5. emerge -DNa world
20 Some/all of the above steps allowed me to successfully "emerge -vat
21 thunar-volman"
22
23 Now here is the weird part:
24
25 thunar-volman demands thunar with the udev USE flag. Before steps
26 (1)-(5) above, during install of thunar-volman portage would take it
27 upon itself to add the udev USE flag to thunar. And consequently pull
28 in an ~amd64 version of gvfs.
29
30 After steps (1)-(5) above, during install of thunar-volman, portage
31 would halt the process with the common complaint: "please add udev USE
32 flag to thunar". I added the USE flag and then portage happily
33 installed thunar-volman.
34
35 Weird!
36
37 ===
38
39 I'm a little upset I solved this using the Ubuntu approach of "try a
40 bunch of random crap until it works" (in this case the random crap was
41 me turning on global USE flags without really knowing why). I guessed
42 to turn on those USE flags due to the output of "emerge -d" which I
43 posted earlier.
44
45 Thanks for your help everyone,
46