From: pge07beb@××××××××××××××××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Unable to mount root dir, Segmentation failure with mount
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:03:36
1 Hi gentoo-users,
2
3 I'm running Gentoo flawlessly on my laptop for nearly one year now, but
4 since yesterday, I'm in big trouble. At some instance (surfing in the
5 web,.. nothing horrible) the screen froze and the only thing I was able to
6 do, was pressing the power button 4seconds to shut the computer down.
7
8 I was never able to boot my system since then.
9
10 It sayed always things like: Not able to find root file system (or
11 likewise)
12
13 So I plugged in my live-cd to recover the whole thing...
14
15 But I wasn't able to mount the root partition, so I tried e2fsck, which
16 turned out to find a whole lot of errors and told me that it corrected
17 them.
18
19 Thus I retried to mount the file system, which resulted in an big error of
20 mount, saying something about Kernel BUG (?!?)
21
22 At that point I realized that this could become a major problem for me,
23 since all my personal data is on my root partition (I know, I should't do
24 that...but thats the way things are right now)
25
26 I used dd to make a copy of this partition to an external hard disk, and
27 begun to recover it from there.
28 dd gave no errors as it copied the partition, so I think this is no
29 hardware failure
30
31 I rerun e2fsck on the partition, it corrected a little more, but after
32 that, it didn't found anything new, but I still wasn't able to mount the
33 partition (nor the partition dump)
34
35 The crutial part of the dmesg output seems to be:
36
37 Assertion failure in cleanup_journal_tail() at fs/jbd/checkpoint.c:430:
38 "blocknr != 0"
39
40 Is this a known issue with ext3 filesystems?
41
42 Thaks in andvance for any help,
43
44 Carsten
45
46 PS: Please tell me if you need more information
47 --
48 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list