From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Lightwheight Gentoo System
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:51:36
1 <michael <at> michaelshiloh.com> writes:
4 > > If there was a Gen_bunto CD for older p2 and p1 machines, all of the
5 > > kids in my hood would be using gentoo........
6
7 > ROTFL - thanks for the laugh James. Gen-bunto - what a concept. My two
8 > favorite distros right now are Gentoo and Ubuntu, and I wonder about the
9 > philosopical implications of liking what seem to be polar opposites. Human
10 > nature, perhaps.
13 Hello Michael,
14
15 Actually, it's not as far fetched as one would
16 anticipate. There are quite a few wikis that
17 show how to build a cd for lower speed processors
18 from a faster machine. Someone with skills would
19 only have to define what's different, between
20 a 200MHz AMD vs a P2 and set up thoses
21 few different files once. As different older
22 machines are added these few files would be
23 customized for the various (common) arch's of the
24 various older machines.
25
26 Then lots of admins could each manage a few machines
27 for the kids in our neighborhoods. I'd do mine over
28 wireless ethernet and thru the local cable tv network.
29 I've collected up lots of old hardware for this
30 purpose....oneday. CFengine would be keen to
31 push/manage binaries down to these machines
32 over TCP/IP. Distributable CDs would be great for
33 recruiting new members to the Gentoo community.
37 Therefore we would not have to perform all of the compiling
38 on these machines, just distribute binaries at night
39 once a month or so, or print/distribute a CD to
40 the kids and others with lesser skills/resources.
41
42 The only trick is to put up a light-weight desktop,
43 that would be appealing to many. With an open-mosix
44 kernel, we could even cluster these machines for
45 aggregated power, once open-mosix stabilizes
46 on 2.6 kernels. That way, a group of gen_bunto
47 users could pool their individually meager resources
48 into something special, or as more old machine become
49 available, each kid could build their own cluster:
50
51 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Mythtv_With_
52 Diskless_Workstations_in_an_OpenMosix_Cluster
53
54 That's the gentoo differential: if the gentoo
55 community was to embrace this effort, it could
56 easily put together something awesome and unmatched
57 by any other distro/operating system, anywhere.
58
59 Here in the US, there are lots of place that will give
60 you working machines, if you just show up to haul them
61 away. That number increase exponentially, when you
62 are willing to spend $5-25 dollars.
63
64 Eventually, the gentoo community will get around to this
65 need for a binary distribution for categories of
66 similar/common machines. Recruiting kids into gentoo, would be the
67 smartest move possible, for the future of Gentoo, in my opinion.
68 It's easy for me to motivate schools/clubs/groups of kids
69 to use linux, it's just difficult to organize and time
70 consuming, under the current gentoo semantics. After using
71 Gentoo for a few years, I'm getting rid of my openbsd
72 and debian boxes..... I like the concepts that drive
73 *buntu, I just strongly prefer gentoo.
76 James
82 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list