From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ethernet card for puter
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 21:46:15
1 On 2021-11-08, Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 >>The fiber is undoubtedly terminated at an ONT which has an RJ45 jack
4 >>which then needs to be connected to what the ISP usually calls "A
5 >>Modem". That "modem" is generally a firewall/router and WAP.
6 >>
7 >>The exact Ethernet protocols used on that RJ45 connection to the
8 >>"modem" varie. Some do PPPoE, some just need some sort of
9 >>authenticating DHCP client, so do other stuff.
10 >
11 > Yes, that would make far more sense. A bit disappointing though if
12 > they couldn't just tell him the authentication protocol to use...
13
14 It's quite possible that the installer doesn't even know. It took
15 quite a bit of digging around the QWest web site to find out what's
16 required to "use your own modem" with the ONTs they install around
17 here for residential fiber service.
18
19 None of the usual documentation they provided even mentions the ONT or
20 the connection between the ONT and the "modem". I suspected it was
21 PPPoE, but I finally found one site that said to use your own modem,
22 it needed to support a specific DHCP extension for authentication.
23
24 I have tried to order the service a couple times in the past 6 months
25 when I was notified that it was available at my address. The first
26 time, I was just told it wasn't available at my address yet. It was
27 available across the street. It was available on my side of the street
28 a few doors in both directions. It wasn't available for me.
29
30 The next time I was notified it was available, I called the number in
31 the notification e-mail to try to find out the actual cost (including
32 taxes and fees). I was told that the only way to find that out was to
33 enter an actual order in the system — but the system refused to allow
34 an order to be entered for my address. After the QWest guy messed
35 around for a while, he told me that service for my address was handled
36 by a "special team". I would have to hang up and then call that team
37 directly at <some phone number>.
38
39 I haven't gotten around to making a third attempt...
42 Grant