From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question of quantum computer
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 22:08:34
1 On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 12:06:30PM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote
2 > On Friday 03 April 2015 06:58:38 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm not convinced that anybody has proven that quantum behavior is truly
5 > > non-deterministic
6 >
7 > But it must be, surely, since it's probabilistic. I don't see how
8 > the domain of probabilistic behaviour can overlap the domain of
9 > deterministic behaviour.
10
11 Example... "Young's double slit experiment"
12 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment The classical wave
13 explanation gives the characteristic interference fringes as per...
14 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment#Classical_wave-optics_formulation
15 Quantum mechanics gives the same output, but uses an extremely ugly
16 probability equation the get the result. So what happens when you have
17 an extremely weak light source such that only one photon is present in
18 the device at any time? Surely it won't have anything to interfere with
19 and cause a diffraction pattern? Wrong. The exact same interference
20 fringe pattern shows up, although it obviously takes longer for the
21 photographic film to expose. This effect even works when sending
22 electrons 1-at-a-time through a double slit filter (Taylor's Experiment)
23 http://www.thestargarden.co.uk/QuantumMechanics.html
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
27 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications