From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:28:33
1 With the recent speed bump on my ADSL service from 5 megabps to 6
2 (don't laugh), I can now download 1080p Youtube Flash videos almost fast
3 enough to keep up. E.g. a 20 or 25 second headstart will allow me to
4 play a 5 minute video before it has to buffer. On some html5 videos
5 (Firefox with USE="webm"), The download is actually a touch faster than
6 the playback, and there's no buffering at all.
7
8 Some of you may remember my struggles to get my 4-year-old Dell to
9 eventually display hockey games on NHL GameCenter even at the lowest
10 available speed using the onboard Intel GPU. Well, I can play the HD
11 Youtube videos with the "small player" or "large player", but fullscreen
12 is hopeless. The onboard GPU can't keep up. So I'm looking at getting
13 a PCI video card. Any relatively new PCI video card that is supported
14 by an open-source driver, including hardware acceleration? Any
15 experiences, good/bad/so-so?
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>