From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python vs C++ [was: Gentoo Rules]
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:24:08
1 On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:05:17 -0600
2 Dale wrote:
3
4 > David Relson wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 06:20:38 -0600
6 > > Dale wrote:
7 > >
8 > > ...[snip]...
9 > >
10 > >> I read a link provided earlier about Plaudis, (sp?). It seems that
11 > >> Portage has a lot of hacks in it, according to what I read
12 > >> anyway. Is that true? Also, is it being wrote with python
13 > >> hurting portage as for as the program itself? If it is, why are
14 > >> they not trying to switch to something else? If C++ is better,
15 > >> then putting off changing is only going to get harder as time goes
16 > >> on.
17 > >
18 > > IMHO, python is a very nice object oriented language and C++ is no
19 > > better (unless you need particular features of the language). I
20 > > suspect C++ runs somewhat faster, but that's not the issue here.
21 > > As I understand, portage needs to deal with lots of special cases
22 > > and exceptions to the general rules for updating package. Special
23 > > cases and exceptions always lead to complications and messy code.
24 > > Switching languages doesn't help a situation like this.
27 > Thanks. I was curious as to how a language could hurt a program as
28 > long as the end result is the same. I take what you wrote as, it is
29 > not the rules that makes a mess but all the exceptions to the rules
30 > that makes a mess.
31 >
32 > Thanks for the reply.
33 >
34 > Dale
35
36 I don't know enough to say for sure. I _am_ a programmer, but not
37 involved with portage. My guess is that the rules are reasonable, but
38 evolved over time. Having read many messages about portage and ebuilds
39 I'm lead to believe that exceptions have lead to complications and a
40 less than ideal solution -- code that's difficult to maintain..
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list