From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge latest in a certain version series of a package
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:14:38
1 on 01/29/2014 11:41 PM Alan McKinnon wrote the following:
2 > On 29/01/2014 17:35, James wrote:
3 >> Thanasis <thanasis <at> asyr.hopto.org> writes:
6 >>> No, because as I said in a previous post, the matter is that when a
7 >>> newer version 3.10.X is in the tree, and you do an update of the world
8 >>> set, the newer kernel source of the 3.10.X series won't appear as an update.
9 >>> You'll have to emerge it again "manually" and likewise "manually"
10 >>> unmerge the older one.
13 >> Manual control/determination of kernels may appear overtly
14 >> clumsy, but it is far better to expend a bit of extra time, manually,
15 >> than in panic mode; which is why I think you see a lack
16 >> of feature rich granularity in gentoo related to kernels, imho.
19 > Plus, the target market for Gentoo is folks who know how kernels work,
20 > know what they want and know how to enable it without hand-holding.
21 >
22 > If the target market doesn't know how to do this, they almost always
23 > have the skills *and desire* to learn it, and usually do so very rapidly.
24 >
25 > Add it all up with what you said and you get a complete explanation for
26 > why gentoo-sources works like it does.
29 Yea, but I think, this is the case for *all* packages, not only kernel
30 sources, at least until now, isn't it?