From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Konsole issue
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 00:30:28
1 On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/01/12 17:15, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am Sonntag, 1. Januar 2012, 16:51:23 schrieb Colleen Beamer:
4 >>
5 >>>> What happens if you run xterm?
6 >>> In response, konsole was working just find earlier today - I had a
7 >>> command prompt and everything.   I had to install xterm, but on install
8 >>> I could run xterm and it provides me with a command prompt.
9 >>
10 >> so what happens when you start konsole out of xterm? Any messages? Do you find
11 >> anything in .xsession-errors?
12 >>
13 > Starting konsole out of xterm results in the same issue - no prompt.
14 >
15 > From .xsession-errors the following related to konsole was provided, but
16 > I have no idea how to go about fixing this:
17 >
18 > konsole(8283)/kdecore (KPty/K3Process) KPty::open: Can't open a pseudo
19 > teletype
20 > konsole(8283) Konsole::Pty::flowControlEnabled: Unable to get flow
21 > control status, terminal not connected.
22 > konsole(8283) Konsole::Pty::start: Unable to set terminal attributes.
23
24 Since reboots don't fix it, it doesn't sound like a starvation issue.
25 Since your /dev/pts is mounted and seems to have useful permissions,
26 it doesn't sound like a permissions issue.
27 Since xterm works, it *definitely* shouldn't be a permissions issue
28 relating to ptys; I'd expect xterm would have had the same issue.
29
30 Still, with the error 'Can't open a pseudo teletype', code and
31 activity relating to ptys are where I'd keep looking.
32
33 If it were me, at this point I'd try running konsole under strace,
34 direct strace's output to a text file, and then grep that file for
35 anything relating to /dev/pts, look at the error codes (or
36 lackthereof, or lack of matching lines), and try figuring things out
37 from there.
40 :wq