From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] scanner hotplug permissions torture
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:31:26
1 I have just acquired an Epson 1660 Photo scanner and I am having real
2 trouble setting the permissions.
3
4 Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a howto that explains clearly
5 how you are supposed to get permissions sorted out using hotplug with
6 more recent 2.6 kernels. There's something about a script in
7 /etc/hotplug/usb, but nothing I can find that tells you what you are
8 supposed to do with it.
9
10 The scanner works fine when run as root.
11
12 The permssions of the usb device (/proc/usb/001/004 right at the moment)
13 are
14
15 -rw-rw---- root:scanner
16
17 However, even though user robert is a member of group scanner, he can't
18 get sane even to recognise the scanner. He can do it though if he chmods
19 to root:users or root:audio or to most of the other groups he is a
20 member of. On the other hand there are some other groups of which he is
21 a member which don't seem to be able to access the scanner -- floppy and
22 adm for instance.
23
24 Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
25
26 Many thanks
27 Robert
31 Neonlicht