From: Lord Imbrius the Despondent <jarmstrong@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Practical Backup Solution
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:26:32
1 Hello, all. I have a small webserver/mail server running Gentoo. I need to
2 find a backup solution that will work for this type of setup. Unfortunately,
3 there is no working driver for a parallel floppy-protocol (backpack) tape
4 drive for Linux 2.6. I've tried LOTS of things to get that drive working
5 (it's an Iomega ditto QIC-80 parallel port floppy-protocol tape drive). I
6 also bought a very low quality DVD+RW drive (MagicSpin non-MMC, non-Ricoh -
7 no English drivers or instructions, even for windoze). It fails to do
8 anything in Linux. Most of the time it tells me that there is no media
9 inserted when there clearly is. Other times it gets 3 quarters of the way
10 through the write and throws an I/O error. I need to be able to back up
11 around 32-40MB nightly and around 1.2GB weekly. Speed doesn't matter. Any
12 ideas? Thanks!
13 --
14 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list