From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE Activities
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 10:33:54
1 On 28 December 2014 10:26:26 GMT+00:00, Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Alan McKinnon
3 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > What you can do is make Activities go away and never impinge on your
7 > > life, that's what I do. I've had KDE here for years and like you
8 > never
9 > > grokked what it even is when it first hit early in 4.x. I'm a grumpy
10 > old
11 > > far, I like my 6 virtual desktops in 2 rows of three, I like to
12 > launch
13 > > the apps myself I known I'm going to use now, and I like global
14 > session
15 > > management for apps I always use all the time (like Konsole). I
16 > don't
17 > > like Activities.
18 > >
19 > > I made them go away and have been using the same KDE config ever
20 > since
21 > > quite happily. IIRC all it really took was to remove the icon[1]
22 > from
23 > > the panel, and maybe disable some keyboard shortcuts. Activities
24 > hasn't
25 > > appeared here for years now, I'd forgotten all about them till this
26 > > thread showed up :-)
29 > > Anyway, hope this helps
32 > > [1] The icon is the one with three small overlapping circles IIRC
35 > It may, thanks for suggesting this. I can presumably resist the
36 > allure of
37 > the icon; but deactivating those shortcuts ought to save me from
38 > those
39 > "bridge troll" incidents, which invariably start with me accidentally
40 > or
41 > purposely mashing the keyboard or guessing at shortcuts in some
42 > random,
43 > hard-to-know-what-I-did-so-I-can-avoid-it-in-the-future way.
44 >
45 > -gmt
46
47 I quite like the idea of activities and used to use them. I stopped not because of the idea but the implementation. Even when you want to use activities, you still have to negotiate the bridge trolls.
48 --
49 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.