From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow Login, Sudo, etc.
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:43:52
1 On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:38 AM, daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I did a large update a week or two ago (400 packages); system is ~x86.
5 >  It took awhile and needed some cleaning, but in general everything
6 > went smoothly.
7 >
8 > However, I noticed that logins, su, and sudo are all responding
9 > slowly.  This was all fixed and fine once I updated my configuration
10 > files, but this week it's acting up again.  Before it was just su and
11 > sudo that I noticed as slow (authentication takes around 20 seconds).
12 > But now even logins are delayed (xdm or command line).
13 >
14 > As an example that I timed: su, it takes 20 seconds for the password
15 > prompt to appear, and over 60 seconds for the login to authenticate
16 > (assuming the correct password...it is a little faster to fail).
17 >
18 > What package(s) are most likely to be responsible for logins and
19 > su/sudo?  I tried rebuilding (and also downgrading) pam, and I'm
20 > trying some other things now, but no luck so far.
21 >
22 > I'm happy to provide any information, but this kind of problem is
23 > nothing I have experience with, so I have no sense of what else to
24 > mention.
25
26 Recently Thomas Drueke posted about a similar problem under KDE. His
27 solution(s) were to unset DISPLAY in the short term, and to use KDM
28 (rather than startkde) in the long term. Maybe that'll help give you
29 some clues to solve your problem too.