From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Planned Installation Steps
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 01:26:28
1 On 05/08/2014 04:30 PM, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
2 > Hi all. Is it safe to install Gentoo in a course of days? Today, I
3 > plan to get the partitions set up, mounted, and get all the stage3
4 > things installed, maybe install the kernel if time permits. My
5 > question, along with the safety of the installation over days is what
6 > is the best way to unmount partitions?
9 I think you're asking if it's safe to stop, unmount everything, shutdown
10 the machine, and then start where you left off? Yes, it is. That's
11 basically what we all do when we reboot for the first time and the
12 kernel can't find /dev/root.
13
14 Within the chroot, just type `exit` to escape the chroot. Then `cd` to
15 the root of the boot CD and `umount` everything in the opposite order. So,
16
17 umount /mnt/gentoo/proc
18 umount /mnt/gentoo/dev
19 umount /mnt/gentoo/boot
20 umount /mnt/gentoo
21
22 and any other partitions you have. Then shut it down.
23
24 The next day, boot to the CD, mount everything again, and then chroot in.