From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPtables question
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:59:58
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:45:53 +0100 Pawel Kraszewski
4 <Gentoo@××××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > Dnia środa, 31 stycznia 2007, James Colby napisał:
7 >
8 > > I have a small home server that I have connected to the internet
9 > > through a linksys router and cable modem. The linksys router is
10 > > currently forwarding all ssh traffic to my gentoo box. What I would
11 > ^^^^^^^^^
12 >
13 > Take note, that forwarded traffic (it is DNAT-ed in Linksys) would
14 > appear on your host as originating from your router. Original source
15 > address is stripped by router's NAT.
16
17 Nope, just the target Adress is rewritten (by routing). DNAT is
18 Destination NAT! I.e. the target IP of the packet is rewritten. Since
19 the Linksys is the default gateway, packets can keep their source IP
20 address. Of course, the source MAC address will be rewritten to the
21 router's -- but that's got nothing to do with NAT but routing instead.
22
23 -hwh
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list