From: James <jtp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any gentoo mutt users?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 20:06:18
1 Bingo.
2
3 Mutt works great as an IMAP client (which is rather interesting
4 because, to the best of my knowledge, mutt did not support IMAP until
5 somewhat "recently", and quite a bit after it first appeared). I
6 personally do everything via IMAP -- no worries about switching mail
7 clients and having to convert emails.
8
9 I don't know what there is to criticize about IMAP. ;) It's infinitely
10 better than pop for the grand majority of users.
11
12 It is somewhat strange, however, that almost every mail client on the
13 planet can "scan" all the mail folders available / used and let the
14 user know if there's a new message, but mutt seems to struggle when is
15 a very large number of (large) mailboxes.
16
17 Mutt, actually, has a built-in "mail checker." To use it you have to
18 (a) use mbox format (I believe), and (b) set the mailboxes you want
19 monitored in the .muttrc using a format similar to the one below:
20
21 mailboxes +Stuff
22 mailboxes +moreStuff
23
24 This works great when I have one or two mailboxes listed. But when I
25 set a mailboxes directive for every one of my mbox files, mutt ends up
26 practically hanging and becoming unusable about 95% of the time. It
27 takes about 5 minutes from executing mutt until I can start using it
28 because it tries to download every single email to keep track of what
29 is "already there" so it knows when a new message arrives so it can
30 warn the user.
31
32 I imagine I'm not the only person who has had this problem in the 14
33 years mutt has been around. ;) I guess that's why gbuffy and xbuffy
34 were created in the first place.
35
36 Funny how these older tools (mutt, *buffy, etc.) seem to work better
37 than all the newer GUI tools like gnubiff, etc.). They just don't seem
38 to make things the way they used to. ;)
39
40 -j
41