From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building and Installing with gentoo to non-gentoo Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:38:41
1 You can tell portage to build binary packages, and then decompress those
2 packages to get all the files you need specifically for that package. You can
3 also build a whole gentoo system and then remove /usr/portage (about 1Gb), this
4 will leave you with something very close to a LSF (linux from scratch) system
5 but with few minor gentoo files.
6
7 In both cases, maintenance will be your main problem (upgrades mostly) and
8 unless you don't mind having a system that is hard/impossible to upgrade, I
9 would look into that also!
10
11 Simon
12
13 Yoav Luft wrote:
14 > Hi,
15 > I have small device running linux. I've set up crossdev and compiled a
16 > few binaries for it and tested that they don't break, including
17 > recompile of the original kernel. I wanted to use emerge to build
18 > binaries for my device, but I don't want portage on it, only to build
19 > the binaries and copy them. I've build python, but I don't know what
20 > files should I copy and to where, exactly. There's nothing about in
21 > the embedded handbook, the handbook assumes I would build and mount a
22 > gentoo like system for my device.