From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Difficulty setting up apache, php and joomla
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 18:21:12
1 On March 26, 2017 7:53:09 PM GMT+02:00, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 17:20:09 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 09:45:09 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 >> > On 03/26/2017 04:28 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >> > > Pelican looks interesting; I may follow it up. I didn't say this
6 >before
7 >> > > (one thing at a time, eh?) but I need to build a site that
8 >another
9 >> > > choirman can take over from me at some time. That seems to rule
10 >out
11 >> > > anything that smacks of script writing, because as far as I know,
12 >> > > nobody else has the slightest interest in computers, never mind
13 >> > > programming.
14 >> > >
15 >> > > I notice that no-one has mentioned WordPress. I had a look at it,
16 >but
17 >> > > was
18 >> > > scared off by the Gentoo devs' waving around of garlic and
19 >crosses.
20 >> >
21 >> > Choosing a CMS is a textbook example of "pick your poison." We
22 >usually
23 >> > go with either Wordpress or Drupal.
24 >> >
25 >> > The design of Drupal is much better, technically. Every feature is
26 >part
27 >> > of a "module" that you can turn off. The API is well-documented,
28 >and
29 >> > it's easy to write new modules. A "content type" in Drupal is a
30 >thin
31 >> > abstraction over a database table, and you can build pretty much
32 >> > anything you want by creating the right content type and then
33 >creating a
34 >> > "view" to display it how you want.
35 >> >
36 >> > The end result can be nicer for end users; for example, you can
37 >give
38 >> > them a button to create a new employee, or a newsletter, or a blog
39 >> > entry... and each one of those content types will have separate
40 >fields
41 >> > and a separate UI. The trade-off is that nothing works
42 >out-of-the-box in
43 >> > Drupal, and it will take you two weeks to get all of that set up.
44 >> >
45 >> > With Wordpress, you get a nice, clean, easy-to-use site in about
46 >five
47 >> > minutes. If that site will work for you -- i.e. if all you need is
48 >> > pages, menu items, a contact form, and whatever else you can get
49 >from
50 >> > pre-existing plugins -- do that!
51 >> >
52 >> > Wordpress is made for non-technical users but I don't mean that in
53 >a bad
54 >> > way. I've been doing Wordpress updates on some sites for over five
55 >> > years, and it's never crashed and made me stop what I was doing to
56 >fix
57 >> > it. Plugin updates are similarly easy, but I can echo what Mick
58 >said:
59 >> > you need to pay attention to the update notifications, and they
60 >come
61 >> > frequently.
62 >> >
63 >> > All CMSes have terrible security records, so the fact that
64 >Wordpress
65 >> > gets hacked all the time shouldn't lead you to believe that another
66 >CMS
67 >> > would fare any better. You can make any CMS a lot more secure in
68 >two
69 >> >
70 >> > simple ways:
71 >> > 1. Always update ASAP.
72 >> > 2. Don't make your website writable by the anonymous web user.
73 >> >
74 >> > The second one means that you will have to update over SSH, at
75 >least as
76 >> > long as you maintain the site, but severely limits the damage that
77 >a
78 >> > hacker can do with a tiny exploit.
79 >>
80 >> Interesting. Another contributor, another opinion. :-)
81 >>
82 >> I already have books on WordPress and Joomla, and I've just ordered
83 >one on
84 >> Drupal. Then I can take my time experimenting and comparing.
85 >>
86 >> Thanks again to all. I'm certainly learning today.
87 >
88 >Michael O. is spot on. Drupal 8 is more of a framework for developing
89 >websites. Wordpress is less of a development workhorse, but will give
90 >you an
91 >acceptable website relatively effortlessly. This is one of the reasons
92 >many
93 >people use it for blog sites.
94 >
95 >Two quick points on the ease of maintenance between CMS':
96 >
97 >Some ISPs offer a GUI-fied update facility for Wordpress, whereby you
98 >click a
99 >button and the latest core installation and modules are updated for
100 >you. I
101 >have also seen this with Drupal, but less frequently and the version
102 >offered
103 >by the ISP may not be the latest one. So with Drupal, updates have
104 >always
105 >been a manual exercise for me. Drush, a CLI tool, simplifies Drupal
106 >maintenance for those who are not limited to point & click computer
107 >operations.
108 >
109 >Depending on your website development needs you may need more than one
110 >site.
111 >A production site and a development site is a typical minimum
112 >requirement.
113 >More active sites have prod/pre-prod/dev/testing versions. This means
114 >you
115 >will be exporting database content and importing it from one site to
116 >another.
117 >Unlike Drupal where exporting and importing database dumps is a
118 >straight
119 >forward activity, with Wordpress you will need to change some of the
120 >database
121 >content manually before you import it. This is because Wordpress uses
122 >serialised PHP arrays and hard-codes URLs in the database cells and its
123 >
124 >upgrade.php scripts do not deal auto-magically with database migration.
125 > There
126 >are 3rd party scripts and plugins to deal with this, but it is an
127 >additional
128 >step and a manual exercise:
129 >
130 >https://interconnectit.com/blog/2009/10/07/migrating-a-wordpresswpmubuddypress-website/
131 >
132 >If you only have one production version on a single domain/webroot this
133 >
134 >problem does not apply, but I raise it here because you mentioned you
135 >may be
136 >foisting the responsibility for this website on someone else, less
137 >technically
138 >competent than yourself.
139 >
140 >This may be getting rather [OT] for this mailing list, so I'm happy to
141 >share
142 >lessons learned or answer specific questions off site.
143
144 People who are not interested can ignore those threads. We semi-regularly discuss other things as well on this list.
145
146 A discussion about pros and cons of various CMSs is closer to the general topic then some of the tangents we've had on here.
147
148 And tips/tricks/lessons learned are always useful.
151 Joost
152 --
153 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.