From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm problem -- is timing?
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:59:41
1 On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:01:33 +0200
2 Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Am Samstag 20 Juni 2009 09:37:24 schrieb Mike Kazantsev:
5 >
6 > > Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
7 > > > > I believe there's "after device-mapper" line already in lvm-2.02.45, so
8 > > > > it should run fine, but as an additional precaution I have dm-crypt
9 > > > > script at sysinit runlevel, which starts device-mapper and dm-crypt
10 > > > > before lvm or even it's runlevel (boot).
11 > > >
12 > > > That's not needed, it should be sufficient to have them all in the boot
13 > > > runlevel:
14 > >
15 > > So LVM would start before dmcrypt? Great.
16 >
17 > Yes.
18
19 No, because encrypted partitions hold LVM volumes as well.
22 > > > > It makes sense for me, since some lvm pv's (not root) are actually on
23 > > > > encrypted partitions, although I mount these even earlier, but should
24 > > > > initrd become incompatible w/ latest kernel, dm-crypt should do the job
25 > > > > instead.
26 > > >
27 > > > No, it does not make sense. You don't even need an initrd.
28 > >
29 > > I do, but mainly for other purposes.
30 >
31 > Which?
32
33 Keeping my mini-distro there, which I use as instant-boot router w/o
34 mounting anything.
35 Why not keep it on /boot, separate partition or separate initrd?
36 I do, each with a bit different setup and purpose.
39 > > Mounting encrypted partitions from there is a bonus and while root is
40 > > not encrypted (although it doesn't even holds most configuration
41 > > from /etc) it is an LVM volume.
42 >
43 > > Can linux boot from lvm root w/o initrd these days?
44 >
45 > Yes, it always could. As long as /boot is a separate partition one can put the
46 > same stuff into it. Much simpler to setup.
47
48 Simplier to setup prehaps, but I find it simplier to keep my initrds
49 contents in git branches w/ one-click build and deploy script, which I
50 find simplier to maintain than ten different paths under /boot.
51
52 But this goes completely offtopic. It's not like I seek suggestions for
53 my setup, it works perfectly already.
57 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net