From: hkml@×××××××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problems with clipboard separation
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:20:34
1 Bryan Whitehead wrote:
2 > "X11 programs have a second way of copying and pasting text", so the
3 > first method is not a hack (sorry), however, many X11 applications do
4 > not bother with the first method. For example, xterm doesn't have an
5 > "edit", "copy", or "paste" on all flavors of unix - try using them in
6 > dtterm on Solaris and you'll see how useless the "first method" is
7 > when you can't cut/paste consistently between different programs
8 > (cut/copy some text, then try to paste it into gnome/kde/gtk/qt
9 > applications).
10 >
11 > xchat is typical software that doesn't do the "edit" menu.
12 > http://xchat.org/faq/#q24 (nor does it provide keyboard mapping for
13 > cut/copy/paste - your WM or OS must do that).
14 >
15 > The standards doc might be anal about what is "first" and "second",
16 > but in the real world the "second way" is what seems to be universal.
17 I'm using unix operating systems for a long time now and I feel pretty
18 comfortable with using left-mouse and middle-click to select and copy.
19
20 Nevertheless working with Eclipse (under Linux) I got used to 'select
21 source - Ctrl-c - select destination - Ctrl-v' (overwrite destination
22 with source). This worked fine for me e.g. in SuSE 9.x and SuSE 10.x and
23 I would like to know, why I can't work like this on my shiny favourite
24 Linux OS (that is: Gentoo).
25
26 Cheers, Heinz
27 --