From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cross Compiling in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:02:06
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 1/17/2012 1:55 AM, Chris Walters wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I have a question about cross compiling in Gentoo - specifically cross
6 >> compiling for W32/W64. I tried their preferred method and didn't like
7 >> it, so I
8 >> downloaded the appropriate Mingw64 build files, set up a cross compile
9 >> account,
10 >> with the appropriate paths, variables, etc. Most packages compile
11 >> correctly
12 >> (though it sometimes takes some code hacking - and yes they do run in
13 >> Win 7),
14 >> but there are some I can't seem to get to build properly - usually the
15 >> ones
16 >> that have make files for MS Visual Studio. I have no interest in
17 >> purchasing
18 >> Visual Studio.
19 >
20 > Just a point of interest: "Visual Studio" doesn't use Makefiles; Visual
21 > C++ can import Makefile projects if you ask it to, but it has its own
22 > project file format. If you're seeing actual make files (and not, say, a
23 > .sln file or .cproj file) then you don't need Studio, just an
24 > nmake-compatible version of make.
25 >
26 > If you do have project and solution files from Visual Studio, they are
27 > just MSBuild projects (think "ant for Windows"). I'm pretty sure there
28 > are open-source variants of MSBuild, possibly in the Mono project?
29 >
30 > And of course, Visual C++ Express is free, though you'd need to find
31 > somewhere to set it up.
32
33 You don't even need that much; you can just use the Windows SDK to get
34 the compilers. (I don't know if it comes with MSBuild, though) The
35 Windows SDK might work via WINE, dunno.
36
37 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/dlx/en-us/listdetailsview.aspx?FamilyID=6b6c21d2-2006-4afa-9702-529fa782d63b
40 >> My question is, does anyone know of any good resources (mailing lists,
41 >> sites,
42 >> etc.) on cross compiling on a GNU/Linux platform for a W32/W64
43 >> platform? The
44 >> searches I've run have directed me to sites that talk about using MSYS
45 >> and
46 >> Mingw on a W32 platform (I don't have all year to build a single
47 >> package).
48 >> I
49 >> am looking to build GraphicsMagick, and some helpful tools for W64
50 >> (though I'd
51 >> accept W32, if that's the only way).
52
53 "info gcc" tells me that the install of gcc on my Gentoo box supports
54 the mingw target. "eix mingw" shows me that there are ebuilds for the
55 import libraries, but they're hardmasked on my amd64 system for some reason.