From: Tom Smith <tom71713-gentoo52478932@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH and terminal emulation
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:49:21
1 John Jolet wrote:
4 > On Jan 23, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Tom Smith wrote:
5 >
6 >> John Jolet wrote:
7 >>
8 >>>
9 >>> On Jan 23, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Tom Smith wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>>> John Jolet wrote:
12 >>>>
13 >>>>> what is the output of "echo $TERM"?
14 >>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>>>
17 >>>> pcadobe ~ # echo $TERM
18 >>>> linux
19 >>>> pcadobe ~ #
20 >>>>
21 >>> try "export TERM=vt220" and see if that helps.
24 >> This did work for "pstree" but seriously broke functionality in Vim, an
25 >> app that is heavily used via SSH.
26 >>
27 >> I did notice something interesting, though. If I set (in Kermit)
28 >>
29 >> Terminal Type: vt220
30 >> Terminal Remote-Charset: cp437
31 >>
32 > the next thing I would try is export the TERM value at the gentoo
33 > command-line and the TERM value at the other end both vt220.
34 >
35 > Okay, now for another question, that may or may not be relevant. why
36 > is kermit involved? if you are sshing into another box, why use kermit?
37
38 Sorry, I probably should've clarified this from the beginning...
39
40 I'm using Kermit 95 on Windows XP Pro to connect to my Linux server.
41 (Kermit 95 is a commercial, Windows-only product; while ckermit is the
42 *nix version and freely available.) That said...
43
44 I believe I've done the equivalent of what you're asking. I ran the
45 "export TERM=vt220" within the SSH session (on the server) and then
46 changed Kermit 95 to match that terminal type. (This should have the
47 same effect as what you suggested, right?)
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list