From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Verify uefi installation
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 07:27:46
1 On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 09:31:08 +1000, Adam Carter wrote:
2
3 > > An update of the firmware flashes the UEFI EEPROM and as far as I have
4 > > experienced no settings are retained.
5 >
6 > A backward step from older MBR / BIOS functionality then. I guess that
7 > indicates that code and configuration are not separated.
8
9 I recently updated a firmware and all worked as before, so I think this
10 is implementation-dependent.
11
12 > # gdisk -l /dev/nvme0n1
13 > GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.4
14 >
15 > Partition table scan:
16 > MBR: protective
17 > BSD: not present
18 > APM: not present
19 > GPT: present
20 > <snip>
21 > Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
22 > 1 2048 1955839 954.0 MiB EF00 boot
23 > 2 1955840 976771071 464.8 GiB 8300 root
24 >
25 > Not sure where the 'MBR: protective' came from as the system has been
26 > linux only from the start. I guess its either the default or I made an
27 > error during the build. AFAIK this is still a valid configuration, so I
28 > assume the signature message is not related to that.
29 >
30 > I guess i could just try re-writing the partition table to see if that
31 > clears it.
32
33 I've just checked a couple of systems that have never used MBR and they
34 say the same. I'd ignore that.
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 If at first you don't succeed, you'll get a lot of free advice from
41 folks who didn't succeed either.