From: Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Backup-software for small network
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:30:55
1 Hi Dan,
2 I am currently developing a P2P backup-system. It allows you to distribute
3 your backups through all clients with space-efficiency and
4 error-correcting-codes. However, it doesn't cover all your requirements (at
5 least the current version), but you may want to have a look in the future..
6
7 >> These are my requirements:
8 > >> * Secure
9
10 yes
11
12 > >> * OpenSource
13
14 yes
15
16 > >> * One Central Backup Host (with tape-drive and backup-db)
17
18 no, backup files are stored in a client's folder.
19
20 > >> * Backup of Clients over Network (even through Firewall)
21
22 yes (though is not working yet :)
23
24 > >> * Support for DDS and DLT tapes
25
26 no
27
28 > >> * Unlimited number of Clients
29
30 yes
31
32 > >> * Tape Management (the SW keep track of used/unused tapes)
33
34 no (i dont plan to use tapes)
35
36 > >> * Full/Incremental/Differential/Archive - Backups
37
38 currently only full, but the incremental is in TODO list
39
40 > >> * Retention time management for Backups
41
42 not sure of what you mean..
43
44 > >> * Command Line Interface (for scripting) and GUI (for easy
45 > Backup/Restore)
46
47 only GUI for now
48
49 > >> * Definition of Backup-sets
50 >
51 >> * Online/Offline backup of Databases (MySQL)
52 > >> * And of course it should be in Portage.
53
54 no for the last 3.
55
56 Yep.. still incomplete.. but, still starting!!
57 If you want to contribute with some ideas/suggestions, I'll be glad.
58
59 Cheers,
60 Fernando