From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LiveCD installation not recognizing megaraid RAID set
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:13:17
1 It took Carlos' reply for me to reread & make sense of the original
2 post.
3
4 On 27 Jul 2009, at 11:46, Carlos wrote:
5 > Ho-Ki Au a écrit :
6 >>
7 >> ... In the BIOS settings, all three disks were added to the
8 >> controller for a RAID5 set up. ... Under /dev, I only saw sda, but
9 >> there was no sdb, sdc. So it looked like there was only one disk
10 >> but the system did not recognize it as a raid set.
11
12 It looks like *not only* did you add them to the controller, but you
13 configured them as a single drive. Therefore this looks correct.
14
15 The whole point of RAID is that multiple disks should appear to the
16 host o/s as a single drive.
17
18 > As mentioned by Neil, dmraid is for software RAID management. If
19 > you want to manage your RAID controller or disk sets from Linux,
20 > you'll have to find management software capable of doing this. Try
21 > the server manufacture's site or the RAID manufacture's web site to
22 > see if such software exists.
25 A Google for "PERC5 Linux" reveals:
26 http://blog.gtuhl.com/2009/03/11/monitoring-dell-perc5-and-perc6-disks-in-arch-linux/
27
28 Then searching Portage:
29
30 $ eix sys-block/mega
31 * sys-block/megacli
32 Available versions: ~1.01.40!m!s!t ~2.00.15!m!s!t ~4.00.11!m!s!t
33 Homepage: http://www.lsi.com/
35 management tool
36
37 * sys-block/megactl
38 Available versions: ~0.4.1
39 Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/megactl/
42 * sys-block/megamgr
43 Available versions: ~5.20!m!s!t ~5.20-r1!m!s!t
44 Homepage: http://www.lsi.com
46 management tool
47
48 * sys-block/megarc
49 Available versions: ~1.11!m!s!t {doc}
50 Homepage: http://www.lsi.com
52 management tool
53
54 Found 4 matches.
55 $
56
57 Viewing the RAID using the correct LSI utility should show the
58 individual drives.
59
60 I use the tw_cli for my 3ware controller. This is how it it appears on
61 my system (the LSI utility will have a different name & syntax):
62
63 $ sudo tw_cli /c0/u1 show
64 Unit UnitType Status %RCmpl %V/I/M Port Stripe Size(GB)
66 u1 RAID-5 OK - - - 64K 931.303
67 u1-0 DISK OK - - p4 - 465.651
68 u1-1 DISK OK - - p5 - 465.651
69 u1-2 DISK OK - - p6 - 465.651