From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [O/T of O/T] winmodem?
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 18:26:10
1 On Thursday, 29 October 2020 17:47:24 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2020-10-28, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I had an old desktop which during a lightning storm ended up with a
4 > > blown PSU and a blown winmodem. The winmodem was unrepairable, but
5 > > the PSU survived following the replacement of a single capacitor.
6 >
7 > All Winmodems were 100% unrepairable fresh off the assembly line.
8 >
9 > --
10 > Grant
11
12 Heh! I recall horror stories of compiling linmodem to get it to work and
13 every other version would fail to initialize the modem leaving me with no
14 Internet connection. Yes, the good old days, you know - when sometimes in the
15 evenings we would actually read ... books. LOL!