From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext3 with errors
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:03:46
1 On 9/29/07, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > My system runs on several ext3 partitions. Last times I restart it, it
6 > has fs errors, so I have to fsck it.
7 > Now, I have a new disk and I want to set a RAID1, but first, I'm
8 > wondering what to do to save my fs consistency. So, I want to copy data
9 > from old disk to new disk, but I'm not sure if I must do a cp -a or a
10 > dd. I mean, if I do a cp -a my new disk will have a new journaling, and
11 > if I do a dd, new disk will have same. Am I right? What do you
12 > recommend?
13 >
14 > And, following with this, any guide to configure a RAID1 with a system
15 > already installed?
16 >
17 > TIA,
18 > Arnau
19 > --
20 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
23 Is it software or hardware RAID 1? Hardware RAID 1 is easy, at least for a
24 motherboard I used that had a Silicon Image chipset. I just told it to
25 build a RAID 1 mirror with the two disks, it created an exact copy then and
26 there of the original. From then on in wrote to the 2nd drive whenever it
27 wrote to the 1st one.
30 - Mark Shields