From: Ralph Slooten <axllent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Multi-user pop3 mail delivery
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:33:39
1 Hi Guys.
2
3 I am trying to replace a server setup at one of our client's offices.
4 They have a domain name, and an email account - both hosted by a 3rd
5 party. This third party gives them a single pop3 account where all
6 email is stored (for all <users>@domain.com), downloadable by a single
7 user login.
8
9 Now the old setup (which I had nothing to do with) uses fetchmail to
10 poll the server every 10 minutes, and then forwards the mail to the
11 smtp on the localhost.
12
13 I have tried to replicate this, but am hitting several disadvantages,
14 one being that all spam messages sent to non-existing users are
15 forwarded to the local postmaster account. I keep thinking that there
16 must be a much more logical way to do this. When I try it without
17 setting the postmaster messages are not bounced.
18
19 How is this setup normally done? The local server has postfix running,
20 but is *not* accessable from outside directly (firewalled). Mail will
21 have to be polled I guess.
22
23 I am using the following fetchmail conf:
24
25 set postmaster "postmaster" set bouncemail set properties "" set
26 syslog set invisible set daemon 600 poll pop3.server.com
27 protocol POP3
28 checkalias
29 timeout 30
30 envelope "Received:"
31 localdomains mydomain.com
32 user accountuser pass accountpass to * here
33 smtphost localhost
34 smtpaddress mydomain.com
35 fetchall;
36