From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] zsh: not so bad?
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 01:52:51
Maybe someone here has missed the recent discussion of zsh? ;)

I just found this website, giving a wonderful primer on how to
configure zsh:

http://wiki.redbrick.dcu.ie/mw/Account_Customisation_(zsh)

Disclaimer:  I have no idea who they are, but I found this article very
helpful indeed, and their advice Worked For Me.

In particular, I wanted to set my zsh command prompt to look like the
custom bash prompt I've been using forever:

echo $PS1
\u@\h:\w

Now here's the equivalent value in zsh:

echo $PS1
%n@%M:%~

The most significant thing I just learned is that the zsh config name
for its command prompt is PS1, the same as for bash.  (I needed help
from the above-named website to get the details, but that was easy.)

I made the change to PS1 permanent by adding this familiar line to my
~/.zshrc:

export PS1="%n@%M:%~ "

Here is one interesting feature of zsh:  when I type e.g. 'les' and
then hit Tab to invoke shell-completion, zsh shows me the usual
suspects like less, lessecho, lesskey, etc.

But then if I continue to hit Tab multiple times, zsh actually changes
the command prompt, rotating the possible commands through all the
possible choices, and then I can just hit Return to execute my choice.

A minor feature, but clever, I think.