From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] zsh: not so bad?
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 01:52:51
1 Maybe someone here has missed the recent discussion of zsh? ;)
2
3 I just found this website, giving a wonderful primer on how to
4 configure zsh:
5
6 http://wiki.redbrick.dcu.ie/mw/Account_Customisation_(zsh)
7
8 Disclaimer: I have no idea who they are, but I found this article very
9 helpful indeed, and their advice Worked For Me.
10
11 In particular, I wanted to set my zsh command prompt to look like the
12 custom bash prompt I've been using forever:
13
14 echo $PS1
15 \u@\h:\w
16
17 Now here's the equivalent value in zsh:
18
19 echo $PS1
20 %n@%M:%~
21
22 The most significant thing I just learned is that the zsh config name
23 for its command prompt is PS1, the same as for bash. (I needed help
24 from the above-named website to get the details, but that was easy.)
25
26 I made the change to PS1 permanent by adding this familiar line to my
27 ~/.zshrc:
28
29 export PS1="%n@%M:%~ "
30
31 Here is one interesting feature of zsh: when I type e.g. 'les' and
32 then hit Tab to invoke shell-completion, zsh shows me the usual
33 suspects like less, lessecho, lesskey, etc.
34
35 But then if I continue to hit Tab multiple times, zsh actually changes
36 the command prompt, rotating the possible commands through all the
37 possible choices, and then I can just hit Return to execute my choice.
38
39 A minor feature, but clever, I think.