From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:17:15
1 On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:11:21 +0400, Neil Walker <neil@×××××××.nu> wrote:
2
3 > Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
4 >> I do not see how it is hard to create a minimal installation CD image
5 >> every time new hardware support is added into the kernel, or new gcc
6 >> version goes stable, or new portage version goes stable.
7 >
8 > How is any of that relevant to the minimal install CD? GGC, Portage,
9 > etc. come from the stage tarball you install. All the install CD does is
10 > boot the system - you can use any livecd for that. What is really
11 > needed, is updated stages.
14 Exactly. I linked GCC and Portage to the minimal CD because all the docs
15 and the numbering scheme itself link the stages file with the minimal CD
16 image. If the minimal CD is
17 gentoo/releases/x86/2006.1/installcd/install-x86-minimal-2006.1.iso, then
18 the stage is gentoo/releases/x86/2006.1/stages/stage3-i686-2006.1.tar.bz2.
19
20 I cannot tell if it is easier to brake this 1 to 1 relationship and modify
21 the docs or to just rename the CD image to the new version if there are no
22 changes to it.
23
24 I agree that any livecd can be used to boot the system (I used Knoppix).
25 Thus it is possible to change the minimal CD numbering radically, for
26 example, base it on the kernel number since it normally increases as new
27 hardware support is added to Linux. The CD will be
28 install-x86-minimal-2.6.21-rc6.iso, and the stages will be numbered and
29 updated independently.
30
31 I do not know if this will cause problems with the live CD or not.
34 Andrei Gerasimenko
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list