From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Script to crack gpg passphrase
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:49:30
1 On 04/28/2011 10:04 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > This finds the passphrase and prints it out on the terminal. However, its
3 > success depends on the dictionary file I use. Also, it's not particularly
4 > fast ...
5 >
6 > Any idea how I can create a dictionary file? I've used apg but it's <aheam!>
7 > too random. :-)
8 >
9 > I have been given something like 6 passphrases that may have been used. The
10 > problem is that at the time of creation the passphrase was typed in
11 > incorrectly (twice!) So I would need to use some method of generating a
12 > dictionary with potential typos of these known passphrases (pretty much how
13 > the rephrase application works). What is a good way to generate such a file
14 > by imputing a range of candidate characters?
15 >
16 > Finally, is there a way or parallelising the run so that it speeds up?
19 If you know the actual passphrase is "close" to some known passphrase,
20 read up on the concept of Levenshtein distance:
21
22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levenshtein_distance
23
24 If you can define a function that computes all passwords of Levenshtein
25 distance 1 from a given password, then you can run that function twice
26 to get the password of distance 2,3... Three or four is probably a good
27 place to stop.
28
29 Then you can take those six known passwords, and compute all words of
30 distance 1,2,3 from all of them. Stick those in a list, and try them.