From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa problem
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:51:06
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:50:16 +0800
4 "Chuanwen Wu" <wcw8410@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > No, /dev/dsp is OSS stuff. Aplay shouldn't use that. But it makes me
7 > > wonder whether snd_pcm_oss is loaded?
8 > Yes,have loaded it:
9 > $ lsmod | grep snd_pcm_oss
10 > snd_pcm_oss 39648 0
11 > snd_mixer_oss 14912 1 snd_pcm_oss
12 > snd_pcm 73800 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
13 > snd 50216 6
14 > snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer
15
16 Odd. /dev/dsp should be present under these circumstances. But the
17 other things below explain that:
18
19 > I am sure I have re-run alsaconf and both the /etc/asound.state and
20 > /var/lib/alsa/asound.state 's content are:
21 > # cat /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
22 > state.Intel {
23 > control {
24 > }
25 > }
26
27 Hm, so it seems there were problems with the mixer at that stage, too.
28 That file should contain settings for the various controls.
29
30 > $ cat /proc/asound/cards
31 > 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
32 > HDA Intel at 0xfe9fc000 irq 21
33
34 So the kernel is interfacing it correctly, but only in parts:
35
36 > $ cat /proc/asound/devices
37 > 0: [ 0] : control
38 > 1: : sequencer
39 > 33: : timer
40 >
41 > Here is the output of strace aplay and I hope it dose not bother you
42 > and I also attach it as a annex.
43 > [...]
44 > open("/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
45 > or directory)
46
47 The playback and capture devices are completely missing, and udev
48 therefore didn't create /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p (PCM, card 0, device 0,
49 playback channel). The only explanation I can suggest is
50 broken/incomplete kernel/alsa-drivers support for your device. Does the
51 machine have BIOS settings for sound? What about the audio related
52 kernel log output?
53
54 In any case, you should probably use the separate alsa-driver from
55 portage, preferably the newest (unstable in portage) version. There
56 were many changes (some of them adding support for more devices for the
57 hda driver) that are not yet in the kernel ALSA tree.
58
59 -hwh
60 --
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list