From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 18:05:37
1 Hello,
2
3 First question:
4
5 I have this in my /etc/fstab and I'm not certain it
6 is necessary or needs to be removed to facility cleanly
7 mounting /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs (ram):
8
9 current fstab:
10
11 shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
12
13 [1]. Perhaps there is a better (updated wiki) reference I missed)?
14
15 proposed fstab entry:
16
17 tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs size=2G 0 0
20 Second question:
21
22 My /var/tmp/portage is persistent between reboots. Often
23 I use those files under /var/tmp/portage to look at the results
24 of various compilation efforts (the gentoo tree, overlays, my codes,
25 etc etc). So, I would like to speed up compiles my using this
26 method, but I also want those records to remain on the local HD until I
27 manually delete them. (baggage I know, but that's one of my tools when
28 coding and auditing codes).
29
30 Third question:
31
32 Which variables in /etc/portage/make.conf need to be set (explicitly how) to
33 effect a solution that uses ram for compiling, but also saves those
34 compilation records on HD until manually removed?
37 Discussion and suggestions for a more robust solution are most welcome.
40 James
43 [1] http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs