From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using tar to backup my system
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:44:50
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 >On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:02:41 +0100, capsel wrote:
7 >>Or maybe bind / to a subdir and tar from it. It's like
8 >>--one-filesystem but it works always (for me).
12 >Why go to the trouble of mounting / again when tar already has an option
13 >to deal with this?
14 >
15 >I don't doubt that it works, but it seems like a long-winded way of doing
16 >things.
19 It has one major advantage regarding udev, in that some device nodes
20 (/dev/console, for example) must exist in the /dev directory on the root
21 filesystem, and when /dev is mounted and you use --one-filesystem, you
22 won't backup those nodes. Binding / somewhere else let's you backup
23 what is really on the root filesystem, so you will restore those device
24 nodes when recovering from a live CD.
25
26 -Richard
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list