From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] g-cpan equivalent for python
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 02:48:21
1 On 11/22/19 9:06 PM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > * Michael Orlitzky:
3 >
4 >> You'll have to write the ebuild yourself, there is no g-cpan
5 >> equivalent for python packages.
6 >
7 > Dan wrote "I have a piece of python software [...] that I would like to
8 > install/try". Creating an ebuild just to do that sounds like overkill to
9 > me. If the software author suggests pip, than pip is what I'd use. ;-)
12 Shh, this is how we trick people into becoming proxy maintainers and
13 eventually Gentoo developers.
14
15 Seriously though, every python package suggests using pip because the
16 authors are on Windows/Mac and don't know that there's a better way to
17 live. Figuring out how to write ebuilds can be fun, and in this case (I
18 wouldn't have suggested it otherwise), it should be relatively easy too.