From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Use of sed
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:36:18
1 On Wednesday 24 June 2009 02:36:08 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 00:48:07 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I'm reduced to asking a newcomer's question: how can I make sed recurse
4 > > down a directory tree?
5 >
6 > You don't, that's not sed's job, which is to edit the text you give it.
7 >
8 > Use find to generate a list of files for sed to work on.
9
10 I'll do that. I was confused by a vague memory that there was a recursion
11 flag somewhere, but I must have been mistaken.
12
13 > > And while I'm at it, how do I change the field
14 > > separator from / to enable me to search on that character?
15 >
16 > By using something else, you don't need to tell sed, it works it out for
17 > itself, just use something that isn't in your search string, : is a good
18 > candidate.
19
20 The man page makes no mention of that, and when I tried it anyway I got
21 puzzling results, so I assumed it couldn't be done.
22
23 > Or you can escape the / as \/ but this quickly degenerates into the
24 > leaning matchstick appearance so beloved of Perl scripters.
25
26 Horrors!
27
28 Thanks to all for the help. Maybe I should replace that text-book after all.
31 Rgds
32 Peter