From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade lessons
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:21:50
1 Howdy,
2
3 Finally completed the gcc 3.4.4 upgrade and thought I'd pass along a few
4 hard learned lessons.
5
6 I run a mostly stable system updated almost daily. The sync is
7 ran as part of cron.daily.
8
9 Lesson #1, turn off cron portage scripts prior to multi-day emerge.
10 Got bit by some Sun java package updates needing to be downloaded.
11
12 I also use rsnapshot to keep some current backups around.
13
14 Lesson #2, turn off rsnapshot prior to rebuilding the world. Can
15 you say good bye to disk space? Yes, 36GB root down to 0.
16
17 Lesson #3, Konqueror's "File Size View" is excellent. I wasted
18 hours trying to figure out why I was running out of disk space until
19 I discovered the File Size View which pointed the problem right
20 at rsnapshot.
21
22 Lesson #4, "emerge --skipfirst --resume" is GREAT. I kept a list of
23 the three non-java packages that failed. After completing
24 emerge -e world, I did a emerge sync, low and behold, those three
25 packages had updates and then compiled successfully.
26
27 The only side-effect I have noticed is that KDE 3.4 system sounds
28 now work... :-)
31 Have fun,
32 Roy
33 --