From: Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 01:52:39
1 On 12/18/2009 6:05 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >>>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda (or what ever)
3 >>>>
4 >>> After reading over all the info here, I think I'm going to go with dd
5 >>> since the data isn't too sensitive.
6 >>>
7 >>> I created a "9.1_Live_x64" USB key with unetbootin, but the laptop
8 >>> won't boot to it. I have another 512MB USB key that it boots to just
9 >>> fine. Could my 8GB key be non-bootable? The laptop's CD drive isn't
10 >>> working so I need another way to install an easy copy of Linux after I
11 >>> dd.
12 >>>
13 >>> - Grant
14 >>>
15 >> I've dealt with many systems that flatly refuse to boot from *some*
16 >> usb keys but not from others.. and some even vary based on what's
17 >> being booted into on those usb keys.
18 >>
19 > I used unetbootin to install Damn Small Linux on the 512MB bootable
20 > USB key, and I'm booted into it. /dev/sda is my HD, and I'm running:
21 >
22 > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
23 >
24 > The USB LED is blinking rapidly, but the HD LED is showing no
25 > activity. Is there any way to tell if the HD is being wiped?
26 >
27 The hdd IS being wiped, if you have the right device (which you do,
28 don't worry!). However, I would recommend running with if=/dev/urandom
29 as that will overwrite it with random bits instead of just zero.
30 However, since it's already being done with zeros and a hard drive would
31 usually be sold with all bits set to zero, I think what you are doing
32 will be fine.
33
34 Marcus